Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Cleveland Experince

I flew to Cleveland on a Tuesday by myself, not expecting any problems, based on my conversations with the people d0ing the study. I stayed in the downtown area which was a very nice place. The architecture and downtown area reminds me a lot of Milwaukee, plus they are also right along the lake. I spent Tuesday cruising the downtown area where they have all their professional sports teams stadiums which includes football, baseball, and basketball. This was during the NBA playoffs and baseball was in full swing, so it was a pretty active area. The next day, I took a bus and visited some museums. Little did I know, that these are the last two days that I would be able to walk around and do the things that everybody takes for granted. On the day before the surgery I went in for testing, and was told that I was in excellent health physically and mentally and that you are a good candidate for this new conservative procedure. Unfortunately, that is where the good part of the story ends. After going under for the surgery the next thing I remember is waking up in ICU with no movement on my left side. The neurosurgeon didn't seem overly concerned, but then again it was my left side and not his. I cannot recall a worse feeling than having someone lift your arm and just have it fall by your side. Also,not being able to move your toes. It is a very helpless feeling and very frustrating especiallywhen you're so used to being very active. And of course,there was only one of 30 people who went though the study that ended up with paralysis and I was the unlucky one. This was also a very emotional time for me, which is something new. I would just break down and start crying several times a day. Some of this was from my present condition, but most of it was when I was talking to family. My wife, who has become become' the rock', flew out within a day to be with me, which really helped. It is amazing how strong she has become and how she doesn't take no for an answer. I could not ask for a better partner and when I'm all better, we are really going to enjoy life together. While there, she was constantly on the phone with social workers, doctors, and nurses, to make sure that everything was being taken care of and like I said before, she refused to take no for an answer. If not for her, I would probably still be in Cleveland.
POGO

No comments:

Post a Comment