Tuesday, January 19, 2010

bummer medical news

Sue and I went to the hospital on Monday morning to evaluate my nerves and muscles. Contrary to what I was told by the surgeon who's surgery caused the paralysis, they don't see anything which would make it any better than it presently is now. They basically gave no chance for the left arm, and not much chance for being able to walk without my quad cane. They were impressed with my strength and they still recommend that I just keep doing what I'm doing to stay strong, but no other treatment is recommended. But I am supposed to let them know if anything changes for the better or worse. My legs have been feeling lighter, which they say is a good sign. So my days of being the ultimate athlete are now over, and now I will become the ultimate supporter( I guess I will have to change my nickname to Jock). we both kind of expected this answer since it's been 8 months with not that much progress, but just learning the truth was like a quick kick in the nuts and was very emotional. So now it is just a matter of changing my lifestyle and interests which I'm sure I can handle, it'll just be different.

And always looking on the bright side, they told me a lot of people in my condition have a lot of pain and don't move around as well as I do, plus the cancer's been staying stable, and I'm still here, so I'm still better off than a lot of people out there. I will still be working hard, to strengthen my legs and my right arm, plus I still got my personality and sense of humor and as usual I will not let this get me down. And another good thing, the wheelchair is a very comfy chair.

So Sue and I will be looking for any outlets of different activity that gets us away from the dull routine and out into the public for some fun. If anybody has something fun going on, or ideas for fun things to do, please let us know. When summer rolls around, I'll be looking forward to watching the baseball and tennis teams and you can bet that there'll be some sharp tongued criticism and jabs at the participants. I am hoping that my son Brad will be able to play on the state tennis team this year if his schedule permits, that way I can live vicariously through him.

As far as my big accomplishment for the month, I finished my 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and will shellac it so it can be saved.

So don't be a stranger out there, I am always up for company.

pogo

3 comments:

  1. We cheerleaders ALWAYS thought you were "the ultimate supporter"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI,
    You have such a good outlook and are very encouraging.
    Tom was diagnosed with cancer last week. It's in his lung, brain & spine. Needless to say, we are shocked. Today is the first radiation treatment which will continue for 2-3 weeks and then chemo after.
    We've been praying for you so maybe now you could say a little prayrer for us.
    Keep up your strength. "Carole & Tom Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom and Carol
    sorry to hear about the news about Tom and his cancer. There seems to be so many people that have been getting cancer lately. Stay positive and strong and my prayers will be with you. If you would like some information on diet or any of the natural therapies that I am on right now, let me know at my e-mail pogohouse@sbcglobal.net. I took matters into my own hands after one surgery caused paralysis and the chemo and radiation therapies did not help or made things worse. Ever since I've been on my own, I've kept everything stable for over nine months which with my type of cancer is extremely rare.

    pogo

    ReplyDelete