Friday, March 12, 2010

going from musicals to Shakespeare

On the medical alert, last Thursday I had day surgery to put a port in my right shoulder which it will be used for drawing blood and to give medications. It was pretty simple and was done with local anesthetic and was there about five hours total. This was one of the few times I used the wheelchairs at the hospital and I am glad I don't have to use those all the time. First of all their wide enough to fit an elephant and clumsy enough where you cannot propel yourself, and I think the seat is made out of 'ass'phalt. Anyway, I got a good meal out of it which included soup and salad, a turkey club sandwich, milk, fruit and let's not forget that chocolate brownie. I had no complications from the surgery, I was just told to stay away from lifting anything over 10 pounds and to take it easy for 10 days, and stay out of water for the same amount of time, which pretty much takes care of all my physical activities. But I guess a little rest can't hurt.

On Tuesday, I was at the hospital from 12:30 PM to 8:30 PM, about four hours longer than expected. It started normal with our support group, and for the first time in a long time I had a couple sugar cookies while I was thereand then walked for about another half hour to get to another part of the hospital to visit a friend. When I got there I was offered a brownie and a few other desserts, since they went to get rid of them, and they were very tasty going down a couple hours later I had this funny feeling in my stomach, probably because I'm not used to eating sugar. So this is where i did my Shakespeare routine playing 'KING REAR', all night with my plunger as my scepter and my toilet as my throne. You talk about a long night. And let's add insult to injury, as I was approaching the valet parking area my foot got caught under one of the mats that they have laying all over to keep the moisture down and that wasn't the only thing that went down. I went down in my usual slow motion and I think before I hit the ground, they had security and paramedics all over me. I basically had a cut on my knee, and of course I said, it's fine just put a Band-Aid on it. But they insisted on taking me to the emergency room where I spent the next four hours getting a Band-Aid on my boo-boo knee. So that became quite a long day and night.

On Sunday, my son Brad kicked me and my wife of the house so he could do some video work for the TV show he is putting on, which actually worked out very well since it was a nice sunny day, so we went to the movies, the fancy place, and not the usual budget theatre, and after that we went by my office to gather the mail and plus it was the first time I probably walked into the office in about 6 months.

On Thursday, started my first treatment of the AVASTIN and to my delight, I felt fine and had no side effects. The total time to get this into my system is always was to be a half-hour. After laying in the nice recliner, taking a nap, I was awakened by the usual, my bladder and found out I was two hours into the appointment but they hadn't started yet because the port was clogged, so I ended up being there for four hours instead. So as usual, I can't do anything the easy way, but all in all I still feel great.

POGO

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pogo--Thanks for the update. We laughed OUT LOUD. Your succinct description of the wheel chair seat was priceless--as well as the Shakespeare--(and we didn't see it coming). Caught us by surprise. Such a nice feeling to laugh like that! Sorry you had the sugar blues, and, you need to stay away from those flying carpets. They had better attend to your port--it is an important device to have. Eric & Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you should write a book! It would be on the best seller list for sure. Glad to hear you're enjoying all the normal food again, but take it easy on the sugar and don't overload again.
    Thanks for keeping us posted. And keep having that great outlook that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr P.
    Wow.
    Sometimes life can give you a good kick in the pants that sucks more than words can express. I heard of your challenge/fight last summer; I'm sorry it took me this long to say anything--it's still a bit raw with me and my health situation. (I just passed my 2 year anniversary of diagnosis --stage III breast cancer.) And, as I've been reading your past posts, (found out about your blog this week when I was in your office,) I am awed and inspired by your strength and uplifting attitude.
    Your fight is worth every minute you gain!! I don't have to tell you that your positive attitude is everything.
    No one tells you how hard the emotional/psychological aspects of this insidious disease are, but you seem to have it under control.
    My prayers for you and your family continue. We surely miss you at your office.
    JoAnne Dames
    jmdames@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete