Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pogo to star in the musical Annie

First of all,"the sun will come out tomorrow", because Pogo is so optimistic, that nothing can get him down. I had my doctor's appointment on Monday and we now have our next plan of attack. I will be starting on AVASTIN, which is the latest and most recommended treatment for the type of cancer I have. It is not a true chemotherapy and is hard to explain exactly what it is but if anybody wants to look it up at least they have the name of this stuff. So this Thursday, I have an appointment at the hospital to get a port put in which will be used for the IV of the AVASTIN, which I only need once every three weeks, however I will be there every Thursday for other miscellaneous things which include blood test and follow-ups, with most appointments being two hours or less. The only real side effect is because it is a blood thinner, it may cause bleeding. But on the bright side my wife thinks that the peroxide solution that I've been using for treatment was causing my blood to thin also, so I've decided to stop the treatment and use my extra oxygen water instead, so there's something I'm really not going to miss( the sun has come out tomorrow).

I also have an appointment today at the hospital to get a custom splint for my left hand, which has deformed into a reverse hook(Kind of like Capt. Hook of Peter Pan fame). I've nicknamed my left hand"Mr. friendly", because when I'm sitting in my wheelchair, it basically lays in my crotch all day and what really makes it look bad is when I get clonus, which is an uncontrollable tremor.

We celebrated my daughter's birthday a month late but had a great time at their place. We played balderdash, which when you have a family like ours, it is truly gutwrenching laughter. The only probably we have is getting me there since they live in BAY VIEW, you have to deal with spiral staircases ice and snow which is not very conducive for getting into and out of their house. But between my son and two Son in-laws, we managed to drag my sorry butt in and out of the house.

"Food, glorious food", it is so great to eat normal food again which I said I would do based on the MRI results, and since it showed growth, I figured why restrict the diet if it's not making a difference. I will still take my supplements, and try to keep the sugar content down and still try and eat fairly decent, but I'm not worried about it killing me. So Saturday I had pizza, Sunday I had lasagna, Monday I had a salad and an Arbys beef and cheddar sandwich, and on Tuesday some friends of ours brought over chicken fajitas which were excellent, I even had some ice cream on Saturday and Tuesday. Once again,"food glorious food".

I am now three wins and no losses on my chess matches that I am playing online, which I guess means that my brain is in turning into mush even though the cancer is spreading. As long as I don't become a blithering idiot, I guess I'll be okay.

My next blog will probably be next Friday, so I can let you know how my first treatment went.

pogo

4 comments:

  1. Well, Pogo, the blog reply feature just insulted us by saying we were too windy and well over 300 words. . .the noive it it : ) So, we've sent our rambling message via email!!

    Eric & Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: "Mr. friendly" had me cracking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the greatest! Your sense of humor is what is keeping you going I'm sure. And with Mr. friendly resting on "Mr, Happy" what more can you want?
    One of Tom's chemos is also Avastin. Can't remember right now the name of the other 2. He has really felt crappy the past few days. Has had more pain & been very tired. why the heck does something that's supposed to help you make ya feel like crap, huh??
    Well you hang in there & keep posting!
    Love Carole & Tom Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pogo!
    It's Erin, from group. Thanks for letting me read your blog and keep in touch. I'll really miss attending group, but having a job is a good excuse not to go. I always enjoyed you and your wife. I told her I was able to relate to her a lot with helping Mom. I started a blog for her as well if you'd like to check it out.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/pattydavisson

    Hang in there!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete