Friday, March 26, 2010

the stress factor and birthdays( not related)

Stress can be difficult to notice until it goes away, or dramatically improves. Especially over the last six months, I have noticed that I was spending too much time trying to keep my dental practice going By trying to manage day-to-day and assuming all responsibilities for making sure the office runs smoothly. Well now that I feel confident in the people working there, I have given specific instructions on running the practice and to keep me out of it. So based on the above information, it is in my best interest for my health and sanity to sell the practice. After all, the greatest joy I had was working with the people, and since I'm only working out of the home, and no longer with patients, I'm saying to myself,'what kind of idiot are you to put in 20 to 30 hours a week on things you really don't enjoy and not even get paid". Now in all fairness, I had to be an idiot for a year to take advantage of my disability benefits which basically saved my ass(excuse my French). So I am basically in the process of doing a practice valuation and have five parties that are interested in buying the practice, so retirement is in near future and the stress factor should become a thing of the past. By the way, I have felt great the past two weeks since the start of my stress relief plan. Even though I felt strong in the past, I've noticed that I'm a lot stronger now, plus I'm getting 6 to 7 hours of solid sleep at night compared to the 2 to 3 hours of broken up sleep that I was getting before. Who knows, the hidden stress of running a dental practice may have led to my cancer, since stress weakens your immune system and that's when the cancer cells in your body can grow and form tumors. So in the words of Mr. Soul himself, James Brown, "I feel good (musical interlude) I knew that I would (musical interlude) like sugar and spice ( musical interlude) and everything nice ( musical interlude) so good(dont-dont) so good, et al. enough about the stress factor, let's get onto topic two.

As promised my wife took me to the movies on my birthday and we went to our old standby, the budget theater, where we saw 'blindside'. As usual, it became an adventure just getting there and getting seated. It takes less than 15 minutes to get there, but we usually leave a half hour early, because I have that slow-moving vehicle insignia on my butt. Well wouldn't you know it, we got stuck behind a funeral procession, and if that wasn't bad enough there were two school buses parked in front with probably over 100 kids, and they were also in front of the handicap ramp, so we had to wait for the buses to move and by the time we get to the theater the doors were shut and it was pitch black so you couldn't see anything. You'd be surprised how much of an incline there is when you're using a walker, and are even talking about the back row. I'm not sure, but I think I did a lap dance on some 80-year-old lady, which could explain the $20 bill I found in my front pocket later that day, which covered the movie, the popcorn and soda. Anyway, after spending about 15 minutes trying to get into the seats, we did enjoy the movie. Sunday was family birthday day where we went out to Outback Restaurant. My daughter's, who did not plan this each got me a jigsaw puzzle, which is one of my winter pastimes. Lisa got me a 1008 piece puzzle of a picture of my grandson, and my other daughter Jessie got me a jigsaw puzzle of 513 pieces of the family photo at her wedding( must be in their DNA). I couldn't ask for two better gifts, since it'll probably occupy me for months and when finished I will be rewarded with two great pictures that we can frame, since all the puzzles I do, I seal when done, because I hate to spend all that time putting together the puzzle and then taking it apart and putting it back in the box which to me would seem like a waste of time. Also my daughter Jessie, alias,' the town crier', had e-mailed a lot of people to tell them that it was my birthday on March 19. I was wondering how everyone knew about this, this year, but not in previous years. So between 5 and 7 PM on that day, I got probably 50 e-mails about a dozen phone calls and a few visitors, it would have been nice if it was a little more spread out but who am I to argue.

Well I hope that holds you for another week.

POGO






I knew that I would



















9

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pogo: You always have us laughing. But our emotions after reading your words initially "hogtied" our brains. We wish you didn't have to go through this. To get out of our "muteness", we have decided to share that stressed spelled backwards is desserts. We recommend dark chocolate cake or cheesecake. But, we will not recommend playing James Brown's "I Feel Good" backwards--it is too risky : )

    Eric & Patty

    ReplyDelete