Sunday, April 18, 2010

a day late and $15 short

I'm a day late on getting the blog out this week, because I was waiting till after our opening-day softball party. As far as a $15 short that's how much I was stiffed after everybody signed up. But that is better than most years, so who am I to complain. It was a little more casual and sedate compared to past parties due to my condition. There was no pin the penis on the Parker games,or no catheter bags filled with booze, or no costume parties, or no Hawaiian shirt parties. For the first time in a long time there was no trivia contest, because I missed half the season because I was in a rehab hospital. In fact the athletic director screwed up the schedules, so we couldn't plan our party list. But we still had good conversation and I'm glad I am presently not on a special diet, because I really screwed up last night. I think I ate more garbage and sugary foods last night then I did the previous month.

Bad news, quickly turned into good news. Sue had a bad week which was caused by a change in medication and just everything building up over the last year with me. She ended up going to a hospital where we thought she would be there for several weeks, and ended up making it back in two day's instead. They seem to have found the right medication now and it's like night and day compared to when she went in there. It is great to have her back to normal. The kids have been great taking over for her and making sure that she did not get overwhelmed when she got back. You just can't beat a great family. Also special thanks to Joe, the mini marine, from our support group, who was brave enough to take me to my aqua therapy and also see me in my birthday suit and help with the shower. so the moral of this story, is when in trouble, call for the Marines.

A relative of my son-in-law had a motorized wheelchair that they let me borrow, so after reading the directions, I thought that the battery was fully charged, but that was not the case. My daughter was with me, when I first tested it, and it was working fine. But of course as soon as she left, I start going down the block and made it next-door, which was no different than being miles away when your stranded and can't walk, nor can you push the wheelchair with your good leg because it automatically breaks in the neutral position. Thank goodness it was a day in the 70s, because I was stranded out there for over an hour and a half. The guy across the street was cutting the grass and my voice wasn't strong enough to get help over the sound of the lawnmower, plus when the few cars that went by and I tried to flag them down, all they would do is wave back, which was funny for a while, but after an hour and a half it got a little tiring.Finally somebody got the hint when I threw a rock at their car(just kidding). Thank goodness for daylight savings time, otherwise I still may have been out there.

The other big thing I got going on in my life is an extremely sore lower left leg with raw skin and open sores due to this special gadget I have to wear to aid in my walking. Unfortunately it is extremely painful when touching it, which I literally have to do, every time I get back into the wheelchair, or when the wind blows on it, or when my pants touch it, or when a plane flies overhead, or when the toaster pops up, or if you look at it with your eyes crossed, or if I fart, otherwise it feels fine. I'm getting this weapon checked out next Friday morning and hopefully we'll get this puppy adjusted so I won't spend 90% of the day grimacing in pain.

Finally, I will probably be heading for Mexico within the next two months for some cancer treatments, which I have to time between my MRIs and my AVASTIN infusions which are every three weeks, plus I want to make sure that my wife is still doing okay before I take off for the two weeks. My daughter Lisa will be coming with me and also staying with me for the two weeks. The treatments are similar or the same as they do in Germany. What makes it nicer is that it is more cost effective, due to the value of the peso compared to the euro, plus travel time and travel costs, due to location. Plus insurance will cover about 70%, so there'll be very little out of pocket expense. I will keep you informed, when I leave, because there'll be a gap between blogs, but should have a lot to report when I get back.

Until next week

pogo

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pogo!

    Sorry to hear Sue wasn't doing well for a while there. Tell her hello for me!

    I've really been missing group. I'm hoping to work something out at my new job to where I can come every so often. It's pretty flexible, so I'm sure something can work out. Not a lot of people know about my Mom, so I should probably start doing that.

    Just wanted to say hello. This Germany treatment is interesting...I look forward to hearing more about it! Have fun in Mexico!

    Take care,
    Erin (Davisson) Buechler
    The Little Red-Haired Girl from group :)

    ReplyDelete