Monday, April 20, 2009

Latest medical update by the latest guy

Sorry about the lateness of this blog. There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to get to this. I think I'm busier now than I was before this all happened. I also want to make sure that I am not boring anybody to death, so the blogging may not be as frequent as in the past. Hopefully, two to three times per week.

Well, let's jump into the world of medicine. Last Tuesday, April 14, the day before D-Day , by the IRS standard, I finished my first round of radiation therapy and chemotherapy. I know the gals from radiation oncology are definitely going to miss me, since I would always brighten their day, which is what you expect if you wore the same attire that I do. They needed to be behind the lead wall more from what I was wearing than from the radiation itself. As of right now, there are no plans to continue the radiation. As far as a chemotherapy which I finished at the same time, I now have four weeks off for good behavior. In four weeks, we will have five days of chemo and two days off with a stronger dose for several weeks. The good news is that I had no side effects from either the chemotherapy and radiation therapy which is extremely rare, and not only that, but I kept getting stronger and feeling better as time went on. As usual, I follow the beat of a different drum and don't like to follow trends. Besides developing a third eye in the middle of my forehead and having a 12 inch dorsal fin grow out of my back, you never would have known that I was exposed to any radiation at all.. So both the chemo and radiation doctors are very optimistic that I will continue to improve and not have any side effects.

On May 5, I will have another MRI. I was told not to expect any dramatic changes in the size of the tumors, because it takes some time for this to show up. But I'll see if I can buck the trend again and mentally shrink those tumors. I do have appointments set up with all three doctors that are involved in my case after the MRI. They've all been telling me the same thing which is you are doing phenomenal and just let us know if there any changes.

More good news, is that they once again reduced the dose of the steroids to 4 mg per day which is a big jump from the original 18 mg per day. I did have some side effects from this evil drug, which included water retention, especially in the face and waist, and it also does wonders with the G.I. tract which is where the term "shitten bricks" comes from. Hopefully, I will be off this stuff completely in the next few months. Things have gotten a lot better over the last week and I think I'm done with these side effects.

Well that's it for the medical updates. Next up will be an update on the sports and social calendar.








No comments:

Post a Comment