Tuesday, April 7, 2009

ZZ TOP; I've got legs, I got to learn how to use them

Well, after a brief hiatus, I am back. Been a little busy again but got some new stuff. After talking about that brief little tumble from last week, which the doctor said was from the steroids, I found out different from the physical therapist. Similar to my left hand, I am missing some sensory innervation to my legs. Now this isn't anything new since I first got the symptoms before I went into the hospital. Basically what's happening is that the motor nerves and muscles strength is a lot faster than my sensory nerves. So if I try to sprint, my legs turn to rubber and I fall down and go boom. So I can only run as fast as my sensory nerves will allow. When I was taking those long walks, this sensory nerves can keep up.and when I was taking those long bike rides including hill training, there is very little sensery needed since I'm just peddling and not actually touching pavement.

Speaking of sports. I played tennis again last Sunday and there was a noticeable improvement. First of all, since I learned from above, I did not fall down. I also found out, that if I keep jumping up and down between points it seems to help my sensory perception in my legs and may give me that slight amount of extra speed. Energy is not a problem, speed is. I seem to have hit the ball better and may have worked myself up to a 3.5 level. So there is hope.

Speaking of sports again, I participated in a cancer fundraiser and got to bowl two games. And once again I did not fall down and go boom. It was a nine pin tap and I managed to get a 187 and a 197. It was a good time but I forgot to bring my iron lung( cough cough)

Speaking of sports once again, I swung by golf galaxy to check on what they can do with my left hand. The person I talked to said that he had quite a few people that had the same thing and recommended a wide grip and a good glove. Holding the golf club felt natural but I didn't want to swing a club until I made sure that no one was in striking distance or that there were breakable objects within range and I wanted to make sure that my liability insurance was paid up.

And last but not least, our government in action. I designated last Saturday, as the day that I would complete the form for disability benefits for Social Security. It took me about six hours on Saturday, and with little computer problem on Sunday another two hours, plus another two hours on Monday at the Social Security office. I spent about an hour and a half with this young gentleman going over everything in the application and making sure that everything was legitimate and help make sure that I would qualify for disability benefits. When we finally got to the end he asked me if I did anything at the office at all. And my reply was that I just write the checks out so the business can keep working. Guess what that means. If you can sign your name, you are not considered disabled, and therefore you do not qualify for benefits. Fortunately for me, after hearing this he didn't want to redo the whole form and asked if there is someone else who could sign the checks. My wife was listed as a cosigner, so I brought a bunch of checks home for her to sign, and now we should be legitimate and we saved that young lad an hour and a half of time by not redoing the whole form. I think from now on, I will wear a disguise when I go to the office so no one will recognize me. After all.we don't want to take any chances.

POGO

No comments:

Post a Comment