Wednesday, March 25, 2009

no longer a 24/7 guy

Finally, sleepless in Greendale has become sleeping in Greendale. For the past week, I've been hitting the hay between 10 and 11 PM and been sleeping in till 6 to 7 AM. Hey, I am a regular guy now, however I have 6 less hours in the day to do things and that's why the blogging has been a little neglected. I still have plenty to talk about, it is just a matter of finding the time now.

I'm trying to get more into a routine each day, instead of doing what I want when I want. Between office management, workouts, doctor and radiation appointments and phone consults, the days go by fast.

Physically, I'm getting stronger every day. I still do strength training every other day in the morning which usually takes an hour and 15 minutes. I personally feel that my strength is about 75% of what this was before this started, and considering after the first month of not doing anything, I felt like I did not have much strength at all. For my cardiovascular workouts, I was doing a combination of walking and riding a bike, but with the crummy weather I have found something that is a lot more effective. Since I'm at the hospital five days a week, I climb the stairs. By the way in the new tower there at 208 steps and in the Knisely building there are 224 steps plus they have music. I usually go up and down at least five times which takes about 25 minutes and definitely gets the heart pumping. Now that I've got this added strength, I'm hoping to try and make a tennis drill on Sunday night, to see if I still got game. My left hand is still getting stronger, and has a little bit more tactile sense, but is a long way off from being normal. The next nice day we have, I'm going way back in my backyard and try and swing a golf club, staying far enough away from the windows just in case that club goes flying. I also want to get out there and throw the old baseball around and figure out a two-handed system for catching the ball. Yes, I'm back into my do as much as I can in the day routine, and loving it.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to our first cancer support group. Sue was the one who checked into this and wanted to go in because I know this is tougher on her than me, I made sure I was there for her. I was a little concerned going in because I didn't want to be surrounded by depressed people. But that was not the case at all. What some of these people have gone through and their determination, were truly inspiring and it was a great experience for the both of us. I was the rookie and compared to what everybody else went through, I had it easy. We will both be looking forward to these meetings which are held twice a month.

I've got some cerebral type blogging I plan on doing in the near future, so stay tuned.

Everyone have a great day, I know I will.

POGO

1 comment:

  1. I know you will have a great day, Rich. You are a real inspiration. I wish I could bottle your enthusiasm and use it when ever I feel overwhelmed with all the responsibilities I have with my Dad. Keep up the blog. You help me alot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete