Friday, March 6, 2009

"Sleepless in Greendale"

It seems that with this change of lifestyle and with some of the medications that I am on, sleeping is something I need very little of. I guess this all started in the hospital when they would wake you up every hour to give you pills, or take blood, or just to come in and see how you are sleeping. The first few nights home from the hospital, I thought this was a curse. I'm sure everyone out there has had those sleepless nights when the brain just doesn't shut off and you usually end up falling asleep about five minutes before you're supposed to wake up. I guess it is safe to say, that I had a few things going on. I was in a situation that I have never been in before and there were a lot of questions that I did not have answers for. The questions kept coming, but the answers didn't. When the surgeon gave us the diagnosis, it wasn't the greatest of news, but I think he was trying to prepare us for the worst. I believe that that may have been the catalyst that put my little brain into overdrive. 99% of my concerns were with my family, whom I all love so dearly. My eyes would constantly fill with tears just thinking about this. Even though those first few nights were long, I still remained positive.

"A Revelation"

My mindset was stuck in the past. My lifestyle before this was waking up early, and going 100 mph from the moment I woke up till I get back at night, trying to squeeze everything I can into that 16 hours of day time. It was what I was used to and apparently what I enjoyed. Work hard, play hard. In fact one of my biggest concerns when I came out of surgery is what would I do if I couldn't be in high gear all the time. And yet, one of the things I wanted most in life based on my past, was time. Guess what I have now.

The new POGO SLOGAN "hey, I've got time"
And when I'm talking time, I'm not talking about that 16 hours per day, I'm talking 24/7. That
initial curse the first few nights has become valuable and productive time. In fact, I do all of my blogging anytime after 1 AM in the morning and sometimes going past sunrise. It is a very peaceful time to do this and because I use a Dictaphone, I don't disturb the rest of the family while they are all snuggly in their bed.

Now I still only get anywhere from 1 to 5 hours sleep a night, and it is usually in a half hour to one hour increments. I still feel very rested during the day and still have a lot of energy. My two theories on this, the first being the steroids I'm on. They gave me instructions to take them in the morning and evening. A few weeks later when meeting with one of the doctors and telling him about the lack of sleep, he told me this steroids would keep me awake, so take them in the morning and early afternoon and take them with food. I believe that has helped a little bit and golly gee, that would have been nice to know before. The second theory is that I have a Ferrari engine and someone replaced it with a Pinto. I don't think I need to sleep as much being 90% less active. But being me, that will change pretty fast and I may become, "Sleeper in Greendale".

No comments:

Post a Comment